Friday 21 December 2012

Christmas Baking

This is NO foodie blog. Granted. But lets forget that for a moment and marvel at my efforts to pretend for a day...

Tomorrow we will host an open house for our friends, family and neighbours. We're offering mulled wine, some baked goods and bucket load of festive spirit. I have been FAR too enthusiastic with my invitations and I can only hope people bring coats and so are happy to stand in the garden...

A couple of recipes I plan to serve up are...

My Mum's recipe for mince pies;

500g Stork baking margarine (or any other butter)
1k self raising flour
3 jars of mincemeat (shop bought... like I said... this is no foodie blog)
2 beaten eggs

Crumble flour and butter into a breadcrumb like consistency with your fingers. Make a "well", pour in water, knead into a dough. Don't overwork.

Roll out to 5mm thickness. Use large circle cutter to make bases. Add a teaspoon of mincemeat. Brush egg around the edges. Cut out a smaller "lid". Place on lid. Brush top with egg. Bake at 180 celsius for 10-15 minutes.
Gingerbread;

I found this one. 
 Chief in charge of tasting...
 Did I mention I LOVE her?
 "I'm getting a hint of winter snowflakes with an undertone of blackcurrant and old boots..."
Lesson:

Bake. It's Christmas. Shop online (with wine) and sit in all day baking whilst you wait for deliveries.
Ni Hao Yall

4 comments:

  1. I love your lesson. I've pinned your recipe as I feel I may need to use it one day. Thank you for sharing and linking up to the Empowered Living hop. I hope to see you back in the new year. Till then have a great party and holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pajama is uber cute...not to mention that sweet little girl inside. If I had any idea where to find mincemeat here in Costa Rica, I'd love to try making these pies. Thanks for linking up with the Mommy-Brain Mixer this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Super cute! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate, read and reply to all comments, I would LOVE to hear what you think today...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...